- 1 lb fresh or frozen-peeled chestnuts or 8 oz freeze-dried “Slices” (rehydrated to 16 oz)
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium leeks, including about 2″ of the green part
- 1 pound carrots (approximately 6) peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons peeled grated ginger
- 3 Cans of Swanson Chicken Broth (141/2 oz.)
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest (grated from real orange outer skin)
- Salt and ground white pepper, to taste
- Thin orange slices for garnish (optional)
- Fresh mint sprigs for garnish (optional)
In a large saucepan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the leeks and saute until just slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Add the carrots, chestnuts and ginger and saute until the vegetables are just softened, about 10 minutes more. Add the stock, cover partially and simmer until the vegetables are completely softened, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat.
In a blender or food processor, puree the soup in batches, and return the soup to the pan. Set the pan over medium heat and stir in the orange juice and zest. Season with salt and white pepper.
Serve the soup in warmed bowls and garnish each serving with an orange slice and a sprig of mint.