- 1 pound frozen CGI chestnuts (thawed) or fresh, or 6-8 oz rehydrated CGI chestnut “Slices”
- 4 cups fresh bread crumbs
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 pound belly pork, finely chopped
- 4 medium shallots or 2 small, mild onions, finely chopped
- 1 pound eating apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1/2 – 1 cup reserved chestnut cooking liquid, to moisten
- Salt and black pepper
Thaw frozen CGI chestnuts in refrigerator overnight and boil for 8-10 minutes. Or score and boil fresh for 8-10 minutes (removing shell and pellicle), or use desired amount of rehydrated “Slices” (see instructions on bag). Reserve cooking liquid.
Chop chestnuts and mix with the bread crumbs, parsley, and egg in a large bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper, set aside.
Cook chopped pork in a skillet over medium heat until lightly browned (add a little oil if necessary). Add the shallots or onions, and cook until transparent. Then add the chopped apples and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring, until softened. Mix the cooked apples and pork mixture with chestnuts, adding enough reserved chestnut liquid (or other stock) to desired consistency.
Pack stuffing loosely in the neck and body cavity of the bird. Alternately, preheat oven to 325 degree ûF and bake stuffing in greased, covered casserole dish for 30 minutes.
Makes 5 – 6 Cups (enough to stuff a 10–12 pound bird) Preparation time: 25 minutes, plus preparing the chestnuts
Cooking time: 10-15 minutes if using as a stuffing in a bird or 30-40 minutes if baked separately.